Sunday, February 28, 2010

"Is Google Making Us Stupid?" - The Atlantic

Is Google Making Us Stupid? - Magazine - The Atlantic

This is an interesting article I came across while doing some research on Google itself. The main idea of the article is the author's belief that Google and other technologies are changing the way we think. He writes that since the advent of Google, he has had more and more trouble with staying immersed in long readings. He says that he used to be able to sit down and read a book for multiple hours at a time, but now he has trouble making it through a couple chapters. And he isn't the only one who has experienced this; he includes a couple anecdotes of friends of his who have experienced the same problem. After reading this article, I noticed that I share these experiences. I remember being able to sit and read half a book or even more in one sitting. Now, I can only read a few chapters, before I feel like I have to move on to something else.

Before Google was invented, to do research you had to spend time in the library, looking through books and magazine articles, often taking weeks to complete a research project. When you found something you could use, you had to read through most of the book or article to find what you were looking for. After Google was invented, you could find what you were looking for in a very short amount of time. Not only that, now you can find excerpts or even entire books on Google Books, and without having to read the whole thing, you can find the relevant passages. On Wikipedia, you can click through to the source links and usually find more on the topic, such as an entire report or article about the subject. Many students realized that projects that took days or weeks to do, could now be done in a couple days or even less. Many people in my age group that I have spoken with have noticed that since Google came about, they have allotted less and less time to research. I wouldn't say that Google is making us stupid, since it provides us a wealth of information, but I think that at the very least it is changing how our brains are wired to concentrate and focus for long periods of time, and at the very worst it is making us lazier. I say this because if something isn't immediately found in Google or elsewhere on the Internet, then, in my experience, a lot of students tend to either give up, or claim they can't find anything about the subject. Ways to avoid this could include classes that teach how to use different research sources and materials effectively. If it were made part of the general college curriculum, or mandatory to high school seniors about to graduate, then I believe that an increasingly larger part of the population would have skills that can be used in most jobs.

2 comments:

  1. What makes you think it is Google? Couldn't it be the concept of text messages or tweets? Couldn't it be powerpoint?

    Google has been attacked because it says we will not need to remember anything anymore. Well, I am afraid they also claimed that when people began to write things down. The establishment went crazy when the printing press was invented -- no one would remember anything now because it could be found in books. While people should STILL spend the time doing research in the library, google is handy for that quick question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's not just Google's fault, but I think that it is the easiest target. Google didn't invent the search engine, it just took it to a new level. And I think you could almost say that it is Google's success that is partially (very partially) to blame here. Because of the ability to use Google to find anything and its success at finding the answers to most queries, a lot of people have learned that if you can't find something in Google, then it's not out there. I am serious, when I was in France, I met several students who had failed to do their part of a group project because they "couldn't find any information about it". When I later checked, it was true that there wasn't anything obvious in the search results (I mean that the short site summaries didn't seem to have anything to do with the topic, or that the websites didn't have any obvious connections to the subject), but with a little digging, I found everything that the student needed for his or her part, usually a page or two down in the results.

    My point is that Google kick-started the trend of "instant gratification", as my dad calls it. For a some people, if it cant be found on Google within 15 minutes or a few searches, then they don't know how to proceed. Students learn that the library is a good resource for information, but not everyone learns how to use it. I remember assignments in my high school English classes that required us to find a book in the library and write down its call number, or projects that required book sources, with citations referring to specific pages and passages int he books. Today, I can do those same assignments in a 15 minutes search on Google, or Google Books.

    I'm not saying it is Google's fault that we have short attention spans or that we don't have to remember anything anymore, I am saying that Google seems to be leading to a loss of deep research skills. Short attention spans are just a side effect, one that is compounded by other technologies such as text messaging and tweets. The crucial difference between Google and these technologies is that these tehcnologies are used mainly for communication as opposed to research. But in both cases, we have grown accustomed to the same thing: short "bytes" of information, whether it is an answer to a question or a friend's status update.

    Don't get me wrong, Google and its efforts and projects are a great thing. Being able to find answers to just about anything in a short amount of time definitely makes working more efficient. But at the same time, having all this information at our fingertips, available on demand, tends to dull deep research skills. I'm just trying to highlight that there might be negative effects, such as shorter attention spans.

    On a sidenote, I found an interesting study about how people read webpages, loocated here:
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/reading_pattern.html

    Basically it tracked eye movements of people reading several test web pages, and it shows that we focus most on the information at the top, but as we move on down the page, we just sort of scan the first few words of each line, or just the headings. An interesting read.

    ReplyDelete